Mini dipole speakers

Having owned a pair of dipole speakers I tried to get rid of my floorstander in the study room. I found the sound lacks the naturalness of simple open-baffle system.




I use a pair of DSE 5" bookshelf speakers and mount it on a 28x45cm baffle. Predictably the bass is lacking but I rather have a natural-sounding midrange than closed-sound of boxed speakers.


It doesn't look too bad as well. Some possible next experimentation to fix the bass are:
- dipole subwoofer
- active compensation circuit

I did try using normal subwoofer but it simply ruins the overall sound character.


1 comment:

peterpills said...

Mr gainphile, you certainly have done some great DIY speaker work. I'd love to hear what the Plutos sound like. You would probably know that in Melbourne we have a big (world's second-largest) and active (world's best?) Audio Club. Big on music, and on home meetings. We placed an ad in the Green Guide this week. Why not drop in to a meeting and mingle with the lads -- all consenting audio adults -- and you sure have bragging rights. Our webpage:
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~macinc/